Yes to NGS is an advocacy campaign aimed at keeping the Navajo Generating Station (NGS) operational to secure Arizona’s energy and water future and to protect Navajo and Hopi economies.
About the Client
Navajo Generating Station is a 2250 megawatt coal-fired powerplant located on the Navajo Nation, near Page, Arizona. The plant provides electrical power to customers in Arizona, Nevada, and California. It also provides the power for pumping Colorado River water to central and southern Arizona for the Central Arizona Project. In 2017, the utility operators of the power station voted to close the facility when the lease expires in 2019.
The primary campaign goals are to build awareness in local communities and collect petition signups in an effort to keep NGS online beyond 2019 protecting energy, jobs and tribal families.
A combination of community events and marketing efforts were coordinated to shed light on key issues. Obata developed campaign branding from the ground up and provided event materials that reached tens of thousands of residents and Navajo and Hopi families.
- Developed a campaign name that concisely states the desired goal and produced an identity that puts a human touch on a serious issue
- Designed and built a responsive microsite to educate visitors and grow support for the cause
- Shot, designed and produced a collection of videos highlighting peoples support for NGS from individual interviews to campaign rallies
- Developed signage, t-shirts and other promotional items for community rallies
- Designed additional marketing and promotional materials including: online ads, radio ads, social media graphics, emails, fact sheets, flyers, collateral materials and more