A Strategy for the Future
Going digital provides a comprehensive, interactive tool for the company’s inaugural ESG report.
You’ve heard it said that… ‘information is power’?
Well, we believe the way information is delivered can be equally as powerful.
Peabody is a leading coal producer, serving customers in more than 25 countries on six continents. The company provides essential products to fuel baseload electricity for emerging and developed countries and create the steel needed to build foundational infrastructure.
Peabody’s commitment to sustainability underpins their activities today and helps to shape their strategy for the future. The company understands that an Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) report is essential as a profitable company, a respected employer and a responsible corporate citizen. Additionally, the report provides a comprehensive resource to address questions related to specific ESG metrics and initiatives that are meaningful to their business.
It’s not just about WHAT you say to your stakeholders, but HOW you choose to say it.
Delivering a dynamic ESG report in a digital format was an essential strategy that helped Peabody achieve the following business goals:
- Expand audience reach – a searchable and SEO-friendly document allowed more people to find and read the report online
- Provide user-friendly format – a single-page PDF document provided easy navigation for users and allowed for readers to self-print, if necessary
- Reduce cost – an interactive PDF provided website-like look & feel without the expense
- Leverage existing resources – interactivity through bookmarks, hyperlinks, and cross-references linked to relevant content and resources located on the corporate websites
- Limit carbon footprint – printing only a small quantity of the report and allowing on-demand printing as necessary
Obata’s experience and industry knowledge in sustainability, financial, and employee communications contributed to the overall success of this report in the following ways:
- Obata’s adaptable and flexible design allowed for greater organization, brand consistency, and content/layout variation within an grid system that provided a cohesive look and feel
- Obata’s partnership with ESG experts brought greater insights into the best way for Peabody to tell their story
Together, the combined experience of Peabody and Obata allowed for greater efficiencies and responsiveness in planning, production and implementation of the report. This successful ESG report has allowed for greater stakeholder awareness, and has laid a great foundation for reporting in subsequent years.
Many creative firms come and go, are overpriced, too artistic or just off the mark. For more than 20 years, Obata has been a trusted ‘back shop’ for Peabody’s print and digital creative needs.
Former Peabody Senior Vice President – Global Investor and Corporate Relations